Melissa


I’m Kelly's younger sister by only 30 days. Yes, it seems weird. We are step sisters, but as kids we used to tell people that our mom was in labor for 30 days. People actually believed us too. I grew up in a single parent LDS family. We lived with my grandparents and though it was hard not seeing my mom very often (she worked full-time to support us and went to night school in order to earn her degree), I am grateful for the close relationship I have with my extended family that developed during those early years. In 1993, my mom met Kelly’s dad, and in 1994 we became a family.

I went straight off to college after high school graduation. I started at Ricks College the summer of 2000. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about myself. I started as an accounting major and loved all of my business classes. Then the school changed to BYU-Idaho. In the fall of 2002 I decided to change my major to Elementary Education. I fit into the Elementary Education program perfectly and loved it. That was also the semester that I met my husband.

Eric and I met at BYU-Idaho. We were in the same student ward there. I was friends with one of his roommates. Eric was really quiet and hard to notice at first, but it didn't take long until we got to know each other. We became good friends shortly after. We knew that we wanted to get married because we fit so well together. We both wanted the same things out of life and we had a lot of fun together. We dated for 6 months before his mission. He left to Charlotte, North Carolina, and 6 months later, I left for my mission in Toronto, Canada. After our missions, we fell in love again and got married in April 2006. I graduated from college in December of that year.

Shortly after graduation we had our first child, Porter. He is a rambunctious boy that is definitely all boy. A rough and tumble, super heroes, cowboys and Indians boy. He keeps us on our toes but we love him dearly. He prides himself on all the funny things that he can do. He definitely has his father's sense of humor. Even with all of the boyness, he sure does have a sweet side. He loves to snuggle with me, and will randomly come tell me words of endearment. When Porter was 18 months old, Eric graduated from college with a business degree. We picked up and moved across the country, away from our families, so that Eric could attend dental school in Buffalo, New York.

In 2008 we added a second child to our family, little Adelaide. She is absolutely beautiful, and I am not biased. She is just as stubborn as her mom and loves girl things (i.e. necklaces, babies, princesses). She is a daddy's girl, but adores her big brother and will do anything he asks, except share her food. She learns really fast and she is almost potty trained at 23 months. She can't wait for her dada to come home from school and she loves to snuggle with him on the couch while he studies. She is wonderful and we love her tons.

We are still in Buffalo where Eric has a year and a half left before he is officially a dentist. From there we will decide where we are going. We hope to end up closer to family because we love and miss them so much.